The main focus for the Events group each year is planning for the Spring Patch Picnic, the summer PatchFest and Winter Warmer events.
Our Events Group organise up to three main events each year.
All our events rely on the time, skills and energy that members and supporters can offer. If you can help out with planning or on the day - bake a cake, staff the tea tent, supervise the bouncy castle or help with setting up the site, we'd welcome your involvement.
Or to volunteer click on Volunteering
A relativley new event for the Patch
Ceilidh, Sat 28th April
PatchFest is our annual one day summer festival for the whole community.
Bigger and better with FWCP upping the production level!
Upper Stage - Live Music from local talent
Lower Stage - Youth Music & Other delights
Summary of activities & facilities:
- Football Tournament (12 x 5-a-side teams competed in Elm Grove school playground)
- Beer tent (Hartington pub)
- Barbecue - FWCP biggest barby in the world.....nearly
- Tea Tent serving hot & cold drinks with fabulous cakes
- Bastille Market & Stalls (About 40 including bric-a-brac, crafts, games and healing, )
- 2 Bouncy castles and Kids Area
- Climbing wall (provided by Adventure Unlimited)
- Drumming workshop (in Yurt)
- Dr. Bike session (Bikes for Life)
- Story telling (in Yurt), Exhibition of local history, Wildlife Grp consultation stall, Playground
- First Aid (Red Cross) and Toilets
It was a huge success attended by an estimated 1,500 – 2,000 people and apparently enjoyed and appreciated by all. In our survey 30 per cent said they ‘liked’ it and 70% said they ‘loved’ it. Feedback also suggested a very positive impact on the community - 73% of those asked said that they felt the event had ‘increased community spirit’. About 90 new members joined the Friends group at the event or during the days leading up to it – many offering to get involved and help out with future activities.
PatchFest was made possible by the combined effort & talents of about 80 volunteers including mucians and other performers. It was also supported by a City Council grant (£700 for this event from £1,200 total grant).
Spring in the Patch will take place Sun 28 Apr 2019
Sunday 29th April 2018, 12-6pm
1.45 Jonny Uke box https://www.facebook.com/jonnyukebox/
2.45 Blue Tundu - jazz/folk
3.45 Tug of War
4.15 Swing choir https://brightonswingchoir.co.uk
4.45 Hoop dance flash mob
5.15 Bird in the Belly - 'sets the new normal for how folk is supposed to sound..' Americana uk. https://www.facebook.com/birdinthebelly/
WORKSHOPS & OTHER ACTIVITIES
All afternoon or as timed - children(C) & adults(A)
- Yoga (A): 1:30 – 2:00pm Taster session with Zoe Gallagher (free)
- Games (C&A): Swing-ball, balance games and more, with Play Tiger (free)
- Bouncy Castle (C): Bounce for spring (50p)
- Pottery (C&A): Get creative on the potter’s wheel with Messy Nessy (£3)
- Archery: Aim for the bull’s eye with Golden Lotus archery, at top end (£3)
- Fencing (C&A): at the lower playground
- Reptile zoo (C&A): Get up close to snakes, lizards and more, with Reptylers (£3)
- Nature Art Club (C): Get arty with nature. Half hour sessions (£3)
- Maypole dancing (C&A):
CHALLENGE 25: Our bar staff may ask to see proof of age ID before serving you alcohol, if you look under 25 years of age.
BIG THANKS to all the volunteers, performers, stall-holders, cake bakers and generous neighbours supplying electricity and water. Spring in the Patch would not be possible without them.
THANK YOU FOR DONATIONS: Although Spring in the Patch is a volunteer-run event, we still need to pay for insurance, publicity, and equipment hire (loos, staging, marquees, P.A.s , furniture), which all comes to over £2,000. Donations on arrival are therefore vital and much appreciated. Suggested donation £2/person or, even better, donate a cake.
Spring in the Patch, Sun 29 April
This is a report about a past Spring Event:
Spring has (al)most definitely sprung in the Patch, and we hope you’ll be coming to see the pond, plants, wildlife and other new additions at this weekend’s get together .
We’ve a range of musical talents from Soul, Acoustic to springtime Jazz.
- Studioscape youth music group performance and a singing workshop
- Craft activities for children – making bunting flags & jewellery boxes & more… (Money raised to go to Patch funds)
- Plant cuttings table – please bring your cuttings (Money raised to go to Patch funds)
- Food share table – please bring food (Money raised to go to Patch funds)
- Rounders, Boule, Badmington & other games
- Love That Stuff, ethical trade stalls
- Free sessions of acupuncture with Juliana
- Transition Town Brighton & Hove
- The Turkish Shop stall
- The Friends information stand will be there – recruiting help for PatchFest!
- Bring your own things to sell – (Small donations for Patch funds)
- Visit the pond and check out the wildlife & sit on the fabulous new railway sleeper benches!
Sunday 2nd Dec - 2:30pm til 5:30pm
Bar serving mulled wine, cider and apple juice
Food & hot drinks
Free volunteer run community event
Help with setup from 10am
The line up for Winter Warmer stage is:
3pm The Sweet Ordeal
3.45pm Bea Everett - singer songwriter (http://www.beaeverett.com/)
4.30pm Dreamspin Hoop-dance crew
5.00pm Big Baby Jesus Brass Band (BBJBB) - An alternative Christmas rootsy brass band